Saturday, January 1, 2011

1/1/11

So for those of you who may actually look at my blog you have clearly noticed that I have not been blogging once a week or even once a month for that matter.  My priorities have actually been somewhat straight so blogging has been pushed way down on the list, my apologies, well not really.  God has not only brought me to a place where I enjoy my children in the midst of the times when I'm pulling my hair out but also being more than content being a stay at home mom and stay at home wife.  Now I have not nearly arrived at the place I need to be and for sure have not arrived at the place I want to be but I'm on the infamous yellow brick road if you will.  I've learned a lot and have put little of it to action to date but change doesn't happen overnight, especially in a family with three strong willed children, two stubborn dogs, and two noisy guinea pigs. (Notice I didn't mention the "C" word, you know the place Matt works)  My family has grown, not only physically but mentally, emotionally and spiritually. For example, our two goals, not resolutions, as a family for the new year are to purposefully use our quiet voices at all times, especially when we are upset, angry or super excited and to read through the Bible as a family this year.

Now you may be thinking the first is a bit goofy but for anyone with children you know how loud it can get at any given moment and for anyone who has met my Noah, you know he came out hollering and I have a tendency to holler back which none of us enjoy, so today has begun the end of the loudness. The second may seem a bit over zealous to some but it is something we have wanted to do for a long time and now IS the time. We made a trip to Mardel about a week ago and purchased a shiny new One Year Bible just for the occasion.  Tonight after dinner we sat on our squares on the rug and amidst the groaning, wiggling, tickling, giggling and occasional questions we made it through the entire portion for January 1st!  At the end I decided to ask the kids what their favorite part of tonight's reading was, their choices were basically from either Gen. 1 (creation) or Matt. 1 (Jesus' birth).  The responses were as follows: Noah- I like that Jesus was born, if that didn't happen we wouldn't be here.
             Joshua- no response, he was pretty grumpy having just been lovingly corrected for hitting his brother
            Hope (in her sweetest, girliest voice)- I like Mary, she was Jesus' mommy

There is something about your youngest child saying her favorite part was Jesus' mommy and then giving you a big hug and kiss and saying I'm glad you're my mommy that just makes everything else melt away.  Those of you that know me and Hopper know that we have our moments, she is a lot like her mother, so times like these help me to remember that not only does God really know what he's doing but that even our Messiah had a mommy that probably wanted to pull her hair out at times in frustration but I imagine she did what I'm learning to do; breathe and take it before the throne, lay it on the altar and know that God has got it covered. Happy New Year 2011.

No comments: